ISEA’s Boat Shop is located in our Education Center and Museum. Programs include young students working alongside experienced boat shop instructors to construct Abenaki wood strip canoes and Optimist sailing prams. Canoe builders meet 2:00 p.m.–5:00 p.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from September through June. The 10-week Optimist Pram classes meet on Saturdays from 10:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m. beginning February and October. In addition to these programs, the Boat Shop is used for year-round maintenance for the schooner Inland Seas. No experience is necessary.
As a boat shop volunteer, you may:
· Receive safety training on all of the equipment
· Observe veteran volunteers in action to learn the construction of the canoe and prams
· Use and maintain tools, equipment, and machinery
· Support the captain in maintenance and upkeep of the schooner
· Keep shop cleaned and organized
If you are interested in becoming a boat shop volunteer or have any questions, please contact ISEA at (231) 271-3077.