Inland Seas has been monitoring the health of Grand Traverse Bay since 1989. Since then, a number of powerful new species – including quagga mussels and the round goby – have arrived in the Great Lakes and caused massive changes. Our data capture several of those changes. We are monitoring:
- Forage fish species and numbers
- Plankton species in the whole water column
- Water quality: water clarity, surface and bottom water temperature, bottom pH, and bottom dissolved oxygen
- Benthos (critters at the bottom of the lake) species and numbers
Inland Seas is currently engaged in a massive upgrade to our science database. Archived files of our data are available in the Northwestern Michigan College’s Online Water Library (OWL). Search for Inland Seas to find our data from 1989-2013.
For data from 2014 to the present, please contact Lead Scientist Jeanie Williams, email@example.com.
Graphs and Figures
Every year we create new graphs to illustrate the trends we observed. Teachers can use these graphs to prepare students for their visit, or process the experience after the field trip. The general public might be interested to know what is happening in Grand Traverse and Suttons Bay. Some of the graphs display change since 1989.
Diving Deeper Data
Diving Deeper is a research-based shipboard program that allows students to focus on a single topic. This program launched in Spring of 2015 and looks to answer these questions:
- What is the density of quagga mussels in Suttons Bay?
- How does the concentration of microplastics change over time?
- How does plankton composition change with depth?
- What is the best bait for catching round gobies?
- How do temperature, dissolved oxygen, and pH vary in the with depth?
Diving Deeper 2016
The data collected in 2016 by Diving Deeper Students is found here!
Diving Deeper 2015
All of the data and data analysis for 2015 is right here!
Diving Deeper Data Analysis 2015 This PDF file guides you through the figures – what questions do you ask to make sense of the data? Students: How should we redesign our studies for 2016? Please give your suggestions!
Diving Deeper 2015 Figures This powerpoint presentation includes all of the Figures created in the data analysis. It works with the PDF file above.
If you want to go even deeper, below are the spreadsheets for each data set. First is the spreadsheet for all of the data, and it includes the data only. After that are spreadsheets for each type of data, which include the data and the analysis so you can see how each of the figures were created.