Cycling along the 17-mile portion of the TART (Traverse Area Recreation and Transportation Trails) known as the Leelanau Trail is beautiful and exciting any time of the year. We can’t wait for you and your students to enjoy this community gem.
Please consider bookmarking this page as you prepare. You’ll find a checklist to help you get ready as well as supporting documents including the maps, directions, and other important information. As always, if you have any questions, please reach out to our office at 231-271-3077 or email@example.com.
Cycle the Leelanau Trail Checklist
- Final payments are due 30 days prior to your trip. Contact our Program Coordinator to arrange any remaining payments.
- Return your signed contract if you haven’t already. Make sure the emergency contact section is complete.
- Double check that your date, time, and program selection are correct by visiting our website calendar. Your reservation should have your first name listed in the details.
- Send the Parent/Guardian letter home with students.
- Review the Leelanau Trail Map and determine where you’d like to start and end with your students. Notify our Program Coordinator, Courtney, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 231.271.3077
- There are two start locations: Inland Seas Education Center – Suttons Bay, MI or Discovery Center and Pier – Traverse City, MI
- Please note: if you have opted to do a point-to-point trip you will need to make travel arrangements for your students to be picked up at the end point you’ve selected. Our staff will pick up bikes and helmets only.
- Consider adding a stop at Leo Creek Preserve to your trip. Whether you stop for lunch in the garden, a short hike, or a guided soil science program, your students will enjoy the beauty of this preserve. Contact us at least two weeks prior to your trip to add a soil science or stream sampling component to your visit.
The week of your trip
- Share location and parking information for starting and ending location you have selected with your drivers.
- Be clear to students that weatherproof clothing is needed.
- Be clear to students that closed-toe shoes are required. Flip-flops are not permitted.
- Students should each have water with them. There are water bottle holders on each bike.
- Plan to arrive a few minutes early if you’d like students to use the restrooms on-site prior to departure.
- Save our Program Coordinator’s phone number for day of trip questions or to notify us of late arrivals.
- Courtney Bierschbach, Program Coordinator – 231-271-3077
- Get excited! We can’t wait to see you!
- Grade us! Share your thoughts about our newest program with Education Specialist, Jeanie Williams at email@example.com
- Thank your sponsor! If you received a scholarship please send a thank you note(s) to our office. We’ll gladly pass them on to your supporters.
- Share your trip photos with us! We’d love to see the fun you had!
- Book your trip for next year or next season to ensure your favorite date is held.
- Set aside time for a post-trip reflection activity.
- Connect with us online. Please tag us at @iseaschoolship (Facebook, Instagram, Youtube) and @inlandseas (Twitter). We’d love to see and share your experience.
- Send a press release to your local paper about your trip and how it impacted you. If it’s published, please share it with us!