Place-Based Stewardship Fundamentals - Site specific
- teachers understand the "why" of place-based and how to integrate the PBSE lens
- connect with each other and recognize colleague skill sets and passions- explore the space on campus and find a connection point
- inspire ideas
- empower teacher led and supported place-based actions, with available GTSI support
(8 shields format)
E - Welcome and Dinner
Foundations (50 min.)
Gather at playscape for teambuilding activity
strengths and issues inventory debrief (coyote style)
Fox walking to creek
Sampling macro-invertebrates/Stream Inventory
(translatable to students)
Sit spot - What captures you in this place? How would you share that with your students in the context of what you teach?
W - Gather at outdoor classroom/playscape
Pair up to discuss:
What kind of relationship do you want your students to have with this place
How do you want them to feel here? Be here?
What here will excite your students? What woud be really cool to them?
What will help them feel the most alive, connected, inspired? How will you use this WHY in your classes?
1. What place-based experiences would you be able to provide for your students? 2. What place-based experiences would you want to work together with another teacher to provide to your students? Name two teachers that you would like to pair with.
3. What place-based experiences would you like to provide that you would need support from outside of your school community?
4. Considering your content area, what types of stewardship actions might your students be tending towards as a result of one of the experiences you have outlined above?
N - Share
*Remember that you can join forces to provide a central experience and go off into your classes from there. You all have strengths and passions to bring to this place.
Resources - GTSI Community Partners
- GTSI mini-grants