Our success as an organization depends on the strength of our small team of staff and volunteers. We work closely with our employees to build an innovative, creative, and rewarding work environment. Be part of our hardworking team dedicated to protecting the Great Lakes through education by inspiring curiosity, stewardship, and passion. To apply for any open position, or to find out more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Office Assistant is a part-time position responsible for ensuring day-to-day office activities are carried out according to organizational needs. This position requires a high level of organization, initiative, and problem-solving.
- Oversee office day-to-day activities interfacing with other staff and the public
- Record data into Salesforce and provide follow-up communications
- Manage ISEA store sales and merchandise inventory
- Maintain ISEA office supply inventory and office equipment
- Retrieve and process USPS mail
- Maintain ISEA calendars
- Process boat sale IRS forms
- Handle gift certificate sales and requests
- Track and balance day-to-day bookkeeping functions
- Track and record all receipts and expenses
- Deliver deposits to the bank
- With Volunteer Coordinator, assist with volunteer scheduling
- Greet visiting groups upon arrival for sailing programs
- Support ISEA staff as needed
- Sell tickets for public sails
- Liaison for Suttons Bay Visitors Center staff
- Assist with external communications including ISEA mail, electronic media, and telephone communications
- Prepare mailings using merge from Salesforce and other databases
- Serve as an ambassador to the community and donors
- Make self available to staff
- Provide regular performance feedback according to established performance objectives
- Display passion and optimism; Inspire respect and trust, mobilize others to fulfill the vision and mission; provide vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates
- Support management team and staff in decision-making and process improvement
- Exhibit objectivity and openness to others’ views.
- Exhibit sound and accurate judgment
- Develop creative approaches to achieve objectives as obstacles arise
- Experience in an office environment
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Skilled in Microsoft Office
- Must pass criminal background check
The ideal candidate will be committed to operating in alignment with the core values, vision, and mission of Inland Seas Education Association. This hourly position is 20 hours a week, year-round, Monday through Friday, during business hours at the Inland Seas Education Association Museum and Education Center. Questions, letters of interest, resumes, and references should be submitted to email@example.com by 4:30 pm on April 7th,
Inland Seas Mate
Inland Seas Education Association is looking for someone with a positive attitude to fill the position of Mate for the 2017 season aboard the schooner Inland Seas. The schooner Inland Seas provides one-half to five day science programs in northern Lake Michigan.
Applicants must have interest in Great Lakes ecology, enjoy teaching and be capable of interacting positively with people of all ages. Applicants must hold a valid drivers license and CPR and First Aid certificates. Minimum educational requirement is a high school diploma. Experience aboard traditionally rigged, commercial sailing vessels is required. A sail endorsed 100 GRT Great Lakes Masters license is preferred. Depending upon experience and boat handling skills, applicant may be considered for Relief Captain.
The Mate may live aboard the vessel.
Responsibilities include leading and assisting in vessel operations such as maintenance, sail handling and safety operations. The Mate must also assist the Captain in training others in vessel operations, seamanship and safety procedures. The Mate will be required to participate in teaching students and volunteers during certain programs.
Inland Seas is a 77′ schooner operating in northern Lake Michigan used for collecting research data and teaching Great Lakes topics to students of all ages. It is the mission of Inland Seas Education Association to enhance public understanding and stewardship of the Great Lakes through hands-on shipboard and onshore educational programs for children and adults. To find out more, visit www.schoolship.org.
To apply please e-mail Captain Benjamin J. Hale at firstname.lastname@example.org with resume and 3 references.
Inland Seas Education Association is looking for someone with a positive attitude to fill the position of Cook for the 2017 season aboard the schooner Inland Seas. The cook is required to manage the galley and plan and prepare healthy meals for 5–45 people. The cook is responsible for the cleanliness of the galley and shipboard sanitation, and also assists with deck duties as needed. This is a full-time seasonal position, June1 through September 2, 2017 (12 weeks). The position pays $100/day and the cook may live aboard the vessel if desired. This position may be job-shared by two or more people.
- Plan, shop for, and prepare healthy meals for 5-45 people
- Coordinate meal times with ship schedule and serve meals on time
- Ensure food prepared to government and ISEA standards
- Maintains sanitation to government and ISEA standards
- Ensures special diet requirements can be accommodated on board as necessary (with prior arrangement)
- Be budget-conscious
- Direct passengers in safe behavior aboard the ship.
- Understand and comply with the ship’s rules, policies, and Standing Orders.
- Assist with cleaning, maintenance, and repairs as needed.
- Assume deck duties while the ship is operating as needed
- One year of food preparation experience for groups.
- Travel (on the schooner) 1–10 days at a time
- Work weekends and evenings as needed
- Work in turbulent waters and challenging weather conditions
- Pass Criminal Background Check and DOT pre-employment drug test
- Lift equipment of 40 lbs. and haul lines
- Work well with youth, adults, and as a team with professional staff
- Communicate effectively
- Be organized
- Knowledge of the Great Lakes (preferred)
- Boating/sailing experience (preferred)
To apply, please email your resume to email@example.com. If you have any questions, feel free to contact our office at (231) 271-3077.
AmeriCorps VISTA Volunteer
AmeriCorps VISTA Volunteer
The AmeriCorp VISTA position is a year-round full-time position paid through AmeriCorp. Individuals will provide capacity building and sustainability support for ISEA. This is an office position located at the ISEA Office in Suttons Bay, MI. Applicants must apply through the United Way.
Aside from the positions listed above, ISEA also has year-round volunteer opportunities and unpaid internships. For more information on volunteering, click here.